Sunday, April 8, 2012

I DID IT!!!

WARNING: LONG POST AHEAD



HOORAY!! I completed the Crescent City Classic 10k!! I completed the 6.2 mile race in 1:13:32 secs! I was expecting it to take me an hour & 1/2 to finish so I was pleasantly surprised to see that I did it in less time. Training really does work :)

I loved every minute of the race from walking around downtown New Orleans the night before to standing at the finish line applauding others who came after me to the bus ride back to the starting line! The excitement that you feel as you run the race is just incredible! Everybody around is pumped and there are people along the entire route cheering you on. Complete strangers with their water hose out so that you can run under and cool off as well as people handing you mardi gras beads as you ran by! (It's a New Orleans thing). They had bands at some mile markers to get you even more pumped and of course because it is New Orleans people were there giving away free beer! And believe it or not people walked in the race dragging their ice chest full of beer with them!

I wasn't sure how I was going to react when race day actually arrived and the time to run arrived but I really did love it! I want to do a 1,00o more. I am actually already signed up to do the Color Run in November with team: Put a Bird On It!! However since that is so far away I am looking into more local runs that will be happening sooner!

The feeling of crossing that finishing line knowing you accomplished one of your goals is worth all the pain training before and oh the pain that you feel after the race is so worth it! (believe me I am feeling the pain today) I of course have a ton of pics to share so prepare yourself now!!

However before I share the pics I want to give a shout out to some people. My friend Ms.Beth is the one who inspired me and encouraged me to sign up and do it with her. She really was great at motivating me to make my goal of running in the 10K. She herself was amazing! She recently has had some bad knee problems and has since been in a brace. She has not let that slow her down one bit though. She is a beast and walked the whole 10k. She actually ran across the finish line. She got almost her entire family to do it as well. It was great to be a part of something so amazing! So thanks Ms.Beth for encouraging me to do the CCC! I LOVED IT!!

One more shout out to my cousin Brandie as well! She is a rockstar and she knows why!! Thanks for coming along on my journey cousin!! YOU ARE MY FAVORITE (shh don't tell Tim)

ok Ready Set PICTURE TIME::::



 Tat says: This isn't sweat it's liquid awesome

 Tat says: WTF( what the fart) Where's the finish line


 Brandie and I before the race




Me at the finish line
(I actually started 2o mins after the gun fire because I was standing in longest line known to man so that I could use the restroom before starting because I drank like a gallon of water before the race!!! )

 I made sure to time myself since I started so late! 
BOOYAH!


Ms.Beth at the finish line!
(she started 17 mins after the gun went off)


Me and Becca after she finished!


Ms. Beth with some of her family members 
who walked the 10k with her!



Brandie and I at the finish!


Ms.Beth again!





More peeps! My cousin is Jesica. 
She's the darkest one pictured :)


Mine and Jesica's shoe tags.
This is how they tracked our time!



Ronnie and Beth
She met him right before the finish line
 and walked across with him!


Cutest little couple <3




Speaking of couples!! Check out my new man! LOL
Total strange but I loved his outfit choice.. 
so my cousin asked if he would take a picture with me
He was of course flattered and happy to do it :)
We now call him Stevie ;)



The lady inspiration herself and I 
after the race



 I looked up my info on their website..

Below is my overall ranking 
Overall, Female and those from Louisiana.
Not too shabby for somebody who hates to run
and who had never attempted anything like this before!



I DID IT!!!


2 comments:

  1. Leesa...you are so right about the awesome feeling of accomplishment! It was an amazing day with amazing people!!! Everyone there has been encouraging to me on my life changing journey so it made the day so special to be together. Thanks for the kind words that brought tears to my eyes. Love you girl!
    Miss Beth

    Also love all the pics. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete